Okra Stew with Shrimp
Blogging hiatus over - this one was totally worth coming back for! It is so chock full of delicious vegetables, a lightly seasoned, mildly spiced broth base and those delicious bites of shrimp over hot rice. This was the perfect meal last night, and completely doable on a busy worknight (which is always a huge bonus in my book)!
Life is good - hectic and confusing and hard and wonderful, and mostly good. Kent continues at therapy twice a week, and Lindsey is a very busy 3 1/2 year old who is constantly planning out her birthday in September and telling me about all the pink things she wants at her party. She is a tomboy princess who has requested a pink cake, a pink dress, a pink octopus, and a pink jack in the box. Work has been extra busy over the past few months, and may slow down by the end of the year, but much to do there to keep me busy day in and day out as well. We've been working on some household projects too, and there have been a string of minor repairs being done. It's nice to get things crossed off the list, but frustrating too to just continue to see how much is left to do - and feel like there will never be enough time to get it done. And then I have to breathe, and attempt to relax, and take it one day at a time - which is very often a big challenge for me!
And back to this meal - which I really hope you will give a try if this type of food appeals to you at ALL. It was so cozy and warm and filling, and all those veggies in there just made me feel good from my taste buds to my toes. This one will definitely go in rotation and be an excellent reason to keep okra and shrimp in the freezer at all times!
Okra Stew with Shrimp adapted from CORWYNN DARKHOLME on AllRecipes
1 pound medium shrimp - peeled and deveined
2 TBS lime juice
1 - 2 TBS olive oil
2 bell peppers, seeded and diced (I used one green, one orange)
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup frozen corn kernels (or mixed vegetables)
1 1/2 cups chopped okra (frozen works well)
5 medium roma tomatoes, diced
1 TBS canned diced mild green chiles
1/3 cup tomato sauce
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt (more to taste)
1/4 tsp pepper (more to taste)
dash hot sauce (optional)
- Place shrimp in mixing bowl and pour lime juice over, tossing to coat. Set aside.
- Heat 1 TBS olive oil in the bottom of your soup pot. When heated, add diced bell pepper and onion. Cook, stirring frequently, over med-high heat (reduce heat if cooking too quickly), until veggies are lightly browned and a little bit tender (about 10 minutes). Add in the remaining vegetables, mild green chiles, tomato sauce, thyme, and bay leaf. Bring to a low boil, cover, and allow to simmer for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Add in shrimp, allow to cook about 3 - 5 more minutes until shrimp are pink and cooked through.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add hot sauce if desired. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Serve over hot white rice.