Toad In A Hole


This is one of those super simple, couple ingredient breakfasts, that I've only made a few times but my son loves and ok I admit it - I do too! We used the remainder of our loaf of Hawaiian bread and these were delicious. The bread soaks up that butter, is tender but crisped and the egg gets cooked to perfection (whites set and a runny yolk - just the way I like them)!


I originally made this recipe following one from AllRecipes - I'm sure there are many names you can call it, and many recipe sources you can site. I just love to eat it!


My son got this recipe again on Sunday after my initial walk down memory lane with this one on Saturday - I knew we were going to have cream of wheat on Sunday and Kent just doesn't like the texture of it. I adore cream of wheat - I have fond memories of my dad making a big batch; just the right amount of sweet and creaminess. Warms the soul along with the belly! In any event, my breakfast of cream of wheat meant something different for him and this is what he wanted.


Toad in A Hole from Ree Drummond

Ingredients
1 slice of your favorite kind of bread (we used Hawaiian)
1/2 - 1 tablespoon butter
1 egg
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

  1. Use a round biscuit or cookie cutter to cut out a hole in the center of a slice of bread. Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium heat and melt butter. Place bread in skillet and crack the egg into the hole, season with salt and pepper to taste. When the whites have set on the bottom carefully flip until the egg is set through to your preferred "doneness". Cook the round of bread you cut out in the skillet alongside the "Toad In A Hole", flipping until browned on both sides.





Comments

Popular Posts