Power Smoothie for Toddlers



I make a batch of these smoothies about twice a week for Lindsey. The recipe below makes enough for about 4 full sippies for her, and she usually drinks about 1 sippy a day (sometimes a little less, one sippy might last her two days on occasion). Generally this recipe gets split - half goes into a large cup for my son (so he doesn't feel left out and he loves them too!) and the other half gets split into two sippies which go in the fridge. One for that day, one for the next (or until I need to make more).

I LOVE that this is jam packed full of fresh fruits and veggies - the frozen spinach puree really makes this a nutritional powerhouse for little ones who can be pretty picky and choosy about what they want to eat at meal time. I feel good about Lindsey getting her fruits and veggies in and she absolutely loves this smoothie combination! I tried it once with a green apple instead of red and she definitely didn't like that one as much. Easy to tweak or adjust to what you have on hand, but this is the ingredient list that I generally stick to for Lindsey (I've used mango and peach before as well).

I used this heavy duty Stainless Steel Julienne & Vegetable Peeler - I've primarily used it for peeling (apples, carrots, and potatoes so far), but tested the julienne function out as well and it's so EASY and looks beautiful! I received this peeler from Select Culinary to test out for the purpose of review and have loved adding it to my kitchen tools. It is versatile, heavy duty, easy to clean, and will peel a huge bag of carrots in no time flat! I love how nicely it fits in my hand and how easy it is to manipulate for the various shapes of whatever it is I'm peeling.


Power Smoothie for Toddlers

Ingredients
1/2 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
3/4 cup seedless grapes (I usually use red, use whatever kind you have)
1 medium ripe banana, peeled
1 large apple, cored but not peeled and cut into large chunks (I usually use something red for a little bit of a sweeter taste)
1/2 cup apple juice (more as needed to thin)
1 large celery stalk, cut into chunks
2-oz cube frozen pureed spinach (I get large containers of organic spinach at Sam's club and put them in the vitamix with just enough water to get the mixture to combine, then blend until completely pureed and freeze in 2-oz containers)
1 large carrot, peeled and diced into large chunks

Directions
  1. Put all ingredients into a good quality blender (we use our Vitamix and it works GREAT for completely pulverizing the ingredients and getting them smooth).
  2. Blend until completely smooth, adding additional juice (or water if preferred) until the mixture is smooth and completely combined.
  3. Distribute into sippy cups / containers as necessary (refrigerates well for a couple days if needed).


*Full Disclosure: I received complimentary product from Select Culinary for the purpose of review. I received no compensation for this post. All comments are 100% accurate and 100% my own.

Comments

Popular Posts