Shredded Barbecued Beef

Hubby put this one together in the morning when I was at work so I missed all the usual "in the making" photos - but of course had to share this recipe! We've used this a few times and all really enjoy it. I love Crock Pot meals for easy convenient week night cooking and most things barbecue always go over well around here! This one has a bit of a tang to it and goes well with the shredded beef. The sauce can get pretty greasy, so I advise either really trimming your roast ahead of time, or be prepared to drain off as much grease as possible before you shred the meat and mix it into the sauce. Either way works fine in my experience. The first time I made this I left out the liquid smoke and we used it this time. Not sure how much I think it changes the flavor, I'm not a huge fan of it and probably will leave it out in the future. It seems to leave a bit of a smoky almost charred aftertaste. It's not strong, but to me it is noticeable.

 Beef roast is ready to shred after cooking on low all day (notice all the grease that I then had to drain off!)
 Drained off as much of the grease as I could then used plastic tongs to shred the beef and mix it into the meat. Left the lid off for it to cook down a little while everything else was prepared.
 Toasted up some buns and fixed some coleslaw to go with this one!

 A little cheese and some pickles seem to be how most things barbecue get topped off around here! Kent likes his plain, but hubby and I usually add some toppings. Enjoy!

Barbecued Beef By: CORWYNN DARKHOLME on AllRecipes.com                   

Serves: 12

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups ketchup
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons prepared Dijon-style mustard
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring (optional)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 (4 pound) boneless chuck roast (trim fat to reduce excess grease in sauce)

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, combine ketchup, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, Dijon-style mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and liquid smoke. Stir in salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
  2. Place chuck roast in a slow cooker. Pour ketchup mixture over chuck roast. Cover, and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours.
  3. Drain as much grease as possible out of sauce. Remove chuck roast from slow cooker, shred with a fork (or use plastic tongs or spoon and shred in the slow cooker), and return to the slow cooker. Stir meat to evenly coat with sauce. Continue cooking without lid approximately 1 hour.

Comments

  1. I'll be starring this one for future reference!

    BTW, I'll be seeing Morgan/Max tomorrow!

    I'll tell him you said WOOF and HI!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww give that sweetie pie a huge kiss and hug from us!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts